When Should You File a Motor Vehicle Accident Claim?

Filing an insurance claim after a car accident usually triggers a rate increase, so many people who have been involved in an accident are hesitant to file a claim. While this hesitation is understandable, filing a motor vehicle accident claim might also result in compensation for damages, in which case a minor rate increase is no big deal.

But, how do you know when you should file a car accident claim and when you should pay for the damage out of pocket? The accident lawyers at Evolve Legal in Queensland share when you should and shouldn’t file a claim.

Single-Car Accidents vs. Multi-Car Accidents

Don’t file a claim if the only vehicle involved in the accident is you and the damage is nominal. For example, say you back into a pole.

Do file a claim if you are involved in an accident with multiple vehicles, especially if the other driver is at fault.

When the Claim Amount is Less Than the Deductible

The deductible on your insurance plan is the amount of money you pay out of pocket before insurance kicks in. If you are in a minor car accident and not injured, the amount required to fix the vehicle might be less than the deductible. In this case, you should not file a car accident claim.

If You Are Injured

You should always file a motor vehicle accident claim if you are injured in a car accident. Even if you don’t feel hurt immediately after the accident, it can take a while for your body to process the shock and for the injuries to surface. It’s difficult to predict how much an injury from a car accident will end up costing in medical expenses.

Exercising Your Best Judgement

Every motor vehicle accident claim and situation is unique. If you’re unsure how to move forward with your claim, talking to an accident lawyer is a strategic first step. To set up a case consultation with Evolve Legal in Queensland, call us on 1300 025 101 or complete the contact form.